Complete Vehicle Services in Paraparaumu Giving You 6 Useful Tips On Renting A Car Abroad
When you next go overseas on vacation the best way to explore a new country is by car. Renting a car allows you to sightsee at your own pace to tourist spots of your own choice. You can easily rent cars from car rental services, but there are certain things you should keep in mind when you are renting a car abroad.
* It is a good idea to make all arrangements from New Zealand itself before you embark on your vacation. If you rent directly in a foreign land the language and cultural barriers, the foreign currency conversion rates, unfamiliar rental rules and other differences may utterly confuse you. Instead if you rent right from your home country, you are more likely to catch the hidden costs such as late penalties, fuel charges and others.
* Make sure your billing starts right from the time of the drop-off. Remember, there are agencies that charge on a full 24-hour basis, even if you use the car for lesser hours per day. Avoid these types of car rental agencies.
* There are various types of discounts that are available on car rentals internationally. For example, the frequent flyer discount, credit card discount, AA discount or senior citizen discount etc. are the most common type of car rental discounts. Insist on getting the discounts if you qualify for them.
* When you are booking in advance, consider the prospective size of your luggage and the number of people traveling with you. In case the luggage and the size of your group are small you can consider a smaller car. But if you feel you are going to travel with a big group or have big or quite a few pieces of luggage, then book a roomier car.
* You should carry an international driving permit with you. It is recognized by some 150 countries. However you must be at least 18 years old to obtain an international driving permit. In New Zealand, the agency that is authorized to issue the document is the Automobile Association of New Zealand.
* Do not expect to rent a luxurious or automatic car in other countries as you would expect to rent back home. For example, if you rent a car of European make, there is a high possibly that you have to drive a manual stick shift car. However, since you are not familiar with your way around in a foreign city it is better that you insist on renting an automatic car even though it comes at a higher price tag.
So you see, driving in a foreign country is much more than laughing about driving on the wrong side of the road! Be prepared and carry the right documents for safe and happy driving abroad.
And when you come back home from your fantastic trip, make sure you book you own vehicle in for a quick check and service with Simon of Complete Vehicle Services. If your car has been sitting in the garage unused for several weeks or even months it is best to be safe and to check if nothing has seized up and all important fluid levels are in order, for instance the brake fluids!
Always maintain your vehicle in the best possible mechanical condition. Simon at Complete Vehicle Services in Paraparaumu on the Kapiti Coast is an MTA Certified Mechanic, and he is the best person who can instantly assess technically and professionally your car. For Peace of Mind contact Simon today on 04 902 6066 to make an appointment, or contact Simon directly at CLICK HERE